Accounting and Finance (MSc)
Taught by professionally qualified academics with a wealth of industrial and professional experience, this CIMA accredited* Master’s course focuses on the practical application of accountancy in the real world and theoretical aspects of related research with a clear objective of preparing you for a career in accountancy, finance or management. You can maximise your CIMA exemptions by choosing particular modules, and get prepared for the remaining final (external) CIMA exam at the end of the course.
You can study ACCA with us (full or part-time) and then take the final, 60 credit dissertation module to gain the MSc award. Our status as a Platinum Approved Learning Partner reflects the quality of our course provision and teaching.
If you are already a CCAB or CIMA qualified accountant you have the option of seeking accreditation for prior learning experience (APLE) and simply topping up with the final, 60 credit dissertation module to gain the MSc award.
Based at the University’s new campus in the UK’s second city, you’ll live and study in an exciting, vibrant environment and engage with local, national and international businesses.
* Subject to approval
What’s covered in the course?
The programme is highly flexible, allowing you to customise your degree to align more closely with a particular professional body or specialise in particular areas of accounting or finance. The flexible course explores a range of business disciplines, offers real world examples and case studies and is recognised by the major global professional bodies enabling fast track progression to internationally recognised professional accounting qualifications upon completion.
Why Choose Us?
- Our accreditation from the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) helps boost your postgraduate qualification even more, giving you professional qualifications employers would be hard pressed to ignore.*
- Our accreditation allows us to offer an extensive list of CIMA exemptions, including all CIMA papers up to (but not including) the Final Strategic Case Study, which we also offer tuition for upon completion of your MSc (in November / December).
- We also boast close links with CIMA, who offer our students reduced registration and exam fees, as well as full access to their support content, which includes webinars and online support.
- The course offers a high level of flexibility in terms of your module choices.
- Maximise your CIMA exemptions by choosing particular modules, and take only one external CIMA exam at the end of the course. Preparation for this (final case study) exam is included in the course.*
- If you are seeking to become a qualified accountant, you can take our ACCA course first (available full or part-time) and then only take the final 60 credit dissertation module to gain the full MSc Accounting and Finance degree. Our status as a Platinum Approved Learning Partner reflects the quality of our course provision and teaching.
- If you are already a qualified ACCA or CCAB accountant, you need only take the final 60 credit dissertation module to gain the full MSc degree.
- The University is an active research centre, and the latest Research Excellence Framework 2014 report found that we’ve doubled the amount of staff producing internationally recognised research.
- The course offers a recognised and respected programme of study around one of the business world’s key functions.
* CIMA accreditation is subject to approval.
You will need to demonstrate academic ability and technical capability in accounting and finance to be able to study on this programme. Consequently the entry requirements for the programme are as follows:
|A first or second class degree in Accountancy, Accounting and Finance or business related area with significant accounting related content from a UK institution or international equivalent.|
|OR ACCA Papers F1-9 / CIMA Operational and Management Levels (or equivalent).|
|OR A full professional accountancy qualification (APEL may be available).|
|OR A pre-Master’s programme approved by Birmingham City University|
In addition to the above requirements where English is not your first language, you must be able to furnish satisfactory evidence of a level of attainment in English language commensurate with study at Masters Level at Birmingham City University.
In most cases, a TOEFL score of at least 575 or an IELTS score of at least 6.5 average or 6.0 in all bands or an alternative qualification evidencing an equivalent competence in English will be required.
UK or EU Students: £9,900 per year
International Students: £12,000 per year
The programme is designed to offer you the upmost flexibility, enabling you to customise your own pathway through the programme to specialise in particular areas of interest or align yourself more closely with a particular professional qualification.
During our specially designed induction programme you will be making informed decisions about the modules you study. In addition to a full briefing and the chance to discuss modules with academic staff you’ll have the chance to meet on a one to one basis with your personal tutor who will guide you through the process and assist you in making the best possible choices to meet your own aims. The programme itself will be delivered by experts in their related fields and is underpinned by cutting edge research into the subject area.
All modules will be delivered via a blended learning approach, mixing face to face with online activities and independent study. Whilst face to face sessions will vary in format including large and small group interactive sessions and workshops you will be expected to examine and research the material presented, question ideas and theories as well as challenging your tutors. You’ll be fully supported in engaging with these activities.
Modules will usually be assessed via a combination of examinations and coursework assignments to take account of the professional alignment of the programme and the need to develop a wide range of skills and competencies as you progress through the programme. You may be involved in writing reports, conducting presentations, developing project plans and drafting proposals.
The course and its pathways are aligned with the CIMA.
You will have the opportunity to go on relevant trips such as visiting the Bank of England and the London Stock Exchange. In the past, students have also visited established companies, such as Sadler’s Ales.
You’ll also gain valuable experience through our Employability Challenge Weeks, as well as our Leadership Challenge programme. Both give you the chance to apply your skills to innovative and exciting projects, industry talks and workshops. You’ll also receive guidance on how to complete application forms and how to write effective CVs
Birmingham City University is a vibrant and multicultural university in the heart of a modern and diverse city. We welcome many international students every year – there are currently students from more than 80 countries among our student community.
The University is conveniently placed, with Birmingham International Airport nearby and first-rate transport connections to London and the rest of the UK.