International Business (MSc, Online)
This Online Masters of Science (MSc) International Business provides students in the early stages of their professional lives with the critical business skills and international perspective to achieve their long-term career goals. Using our advanced online learning platform, it also provides the flexibility to suit today’s modern lifestyle and places students at the centre of a highly interactive, multicultural virtual classroom.
Our online MSc in International Business is offered by our world-class Birmingham Business School, an institution with triple-crown accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, the Association of MBAs and the European Quality Improvement System.
Recently named University of the Year in both The Times and The Sunday Times, the University of Birmingham is leading the way in online learning with a unique global perspective. Master concepts, develop skills and apply informed ways of thinking with an MSc in International Business in the years before you are eligible to enrol for an MBA.
With an Online MSc International Business from Birmingham Business School, you can build a foundation in business fundamentals with a strong global perspective exclusively through the use of the leading online technology. Our flexible learning platform presents a modern solution for recent graduate students, connecting you with module leaders who are at the top of their fields as you prepare for your career.
Modules consist of expert-led video content, readings to support content and case studies that put principles and practices into a real-life context. Students are also given direct, personal support through the assignment of an individual tutor to help guide learning as it is applied in a global paradigm.
The highly interactive environment is overseen by internationally respected, expert academics in globalisation, accounting, finance, marketing, human resources and operations. Our membership in the Russell Group, an organisation of the UK’s premier research universities, also enables students to surround themselves with world-class scholarly research and a global network of links in the business sector.
Get ahead of the competition in the years before you are eligible to enrol for an MBA by mastering the sustainable concepts and skills needed for your future career path with Birmingham Business School, where we put business in context, people at the heart of business and business at the heart of society.
- Learn to analyse and overcome complex problems in global business
- Develop critical managerial skills and master practical applications
- Enhance the people management skills necessary for more effective leadership
- Master skills in a highly interactive online learning environment
- Engage and interact with a global body of your peers
- Challenge critical thinking on business issues within global society
- Understand business management and its application in professional life
- Gain international perspectives of organisations and management theory
The Birmingham Business School Online MSc in International Business is a 30-month, 180-credit course that has 12 taught modules and a research-based dissertation. Year one focuses on the first six compulsory core modules, these are:
- International Marketing (10 credits)
- International Accounting and Finance (10 credits)
- Managing Global Operations (10 credits)
- Organisational Behaviour and HRM in a Global Context (10 credits)
- International Business (10 credits)
- Strategy (10 credits)
During year two students continue with a further six compulsory core modules, which are:
- Economics and Economic Policy for Business (10 credits)
- Global Entrepreneurship (10 credits)
- Managing Global Service (10 credits)
- Integrative Capstone Module (10 credits)
- International Marketing Strategy (10 credits)
- Research Methods in International Business (10 credits)
When the taught modules have been completed, a dissertation is submitted to fulfil the requirements for the award of the degree. The subject of the dissertation can be related to your work environment or to an area of interest to your employer, which may encourage them to support you with time for study or financial assistance.
For programme fees and information on further costs please visit our Fees and Financing page.
Business School Scholarships may be available, find out more about our scholarships.
International students can often gain funding through overseas research scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships or their home government; find out more.
Postgraduate Loans for Masters students
If you’re an English-resident, or EU student, you may be eligible for a loan to study a taught or research Masters in any subject. The government-backed student loan will provide up to £10,280 in 2017.
Detailed criteria and information regarding the application can be found on our postgraduate funding page.
- Questions about funding? Use our Student Help knowledge base to find the answer.
In order to be accepted onto this programme, you must possess:
- At least an upper second-class degree or postgraduate diploma from a UK university or equivalent
- 3.0 GPA
- Two references
- Personal statement
Standard English language requirements apply with the exception of Graduate Diploma students who must have IELTS 6.5 with no less than 6.0 in any band.
The University of Birmingham’s virtual learning platform presents Online MSc students with a superior environment for their online studies. We have moved beyond the traditional classroom structure, taking full advantage of digital media with modules that draw on interactivity, active student participation and social connectivity with faculty and peers around the world to provide a more dynamic, global learning experience.
Rather than simply reading lecture transcripts and sending in assignments, the University of Birmingham’s online students engage with the curriculum directly using:
- Video Lectures: Access content any time and from any device
- InteractiveAssignments: Actively participate in learning exercises
- Real-Life Case Studies: Gain skills you can apply immediately
- Social Interaction: Connect with peers, professors and tutors online
- Digital Resources: Rely on support for any of your admissions, enrolment, technology or career needs
Careers in Business
Careers in Business is a dedicated service for postgraduate Business School students. We’ll help you in all aspects of your career management, from planning your job-seeking strategies, applying for jobs, preparing for interviews and assessment centres and developing your essential employability skills. At the start of your programme you will receive an email from our team, giving details of how you can access Careers in Business Online. Please get in touch to find out how our Careers in Business team can support you.