5 Tips to Nail Your Interview
If you have an upcoming interview, then you need to plan in advance to absolutely nail it. The interviewing process can be somewhat unnerving. However, it doesn’t have to be. Shift your thoughts from being fearful to feeling empowered. Nail it by following these five tips:
Interview Tip 1: Research is Essential
In order to impress your interviewer, be sure to research the company in advance. Read everything possible regarding the latest updates and trends associated with their business and the industry.
Think about a few questions to ask them that will reveal your research in advance. You’ll be glad to get the answers and they will see your forethought and efforts shine through.
A few things to research include:
- Find and read the company’s vision and mission statements.
- Look into the size of the company and info about key employees.
- Know all you can about the products or services that they offer.
Interview Tip 2: Craft Some Answers in Advance
Practice what you come up with and even bounce the ideas off someone you can trust to give you honest feedback. You should not be surprised by the most common questions but rather have a well-crafted response that will stand out.
Be ready for the following types of questions:
- Why do you think you are the right fit for this position?
- What are your weaknesses?
- How would you overcome the lack of experience in this industry?
- What interests you most about this company?
Interview Tip 3: Take a Deep Breath
While interviews can make you feel nervous, you’ll perform better in the situation if you simply relax. Take a deep breath and remind yourself that this is simply a conversation between you and someone else. Chill out and go after this interview will all you’ve got.
Tips to relax include:
- Be confident in your preparation and bring along a few notes to discuss during the interview.
- Don’t drink a pot of coffee before you go because you will be jittery.
- Remember the person on the other side of the desk is just a human like you.
- Make sure you feel good about what you’re wearing and how you look. You don’t want to fidget with your clothes or habitually push your hair back into place. You’ll feel relaxed if you are prepared appearance wise.
You will look more personable if you relax a bit, seeming warm and friendly rather than standoffish and completely freaked out. Remember, you prepared ahead of time and you can do this thing!
Interview Tip 4: Understand the Job Description
If you are on an interview, then know the details of what you are applying for. Nothing will frustrate an interviewer more than someone with no clue about the position being offered. Read over the job description thoroughly. Figure out what skills you have that would be a good fit for company and be ready to tell your interviewer why.
Further, you will want to ask questions for more clarification about the role’s description. You’ll look prepared and be able to nail the interview by simply being informed.
Interview Tip 5: Honesty is the Best Policy
Interviewers will see right through fluff and any over inflation about yourself. Be honest and make your comments 100% truthful. It’s alright not to know everything that they ask. You’ll impress them by simply saying that you are not sure and would love to hear more about the topic.
Stay true to these areas particular:
- Know your CV well and be ready to answer questions correctly.
- You should be able to share information about your references honestly and what they would say about you.
- Don’t sell yourself on things you know nothing about. Once you’re hired, the company will quickly see that you weren’t truthful.
Believe in yourself and follow these tips in order to nail your next interview. Be confident, knowledgeable, and prepared for the big day so all will go smoothly.